Sponsor: VoiceMeUp - Corporate & Wholesale VoIP Services

VoIP Mailing List Archives
Mailing list archives for the VoIP community
 SearchSearch 

[Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shk at visanti.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

Hi

I am having some problems with the quality of the recordings, but only for some calls.

The FreeSWITCH server is running in Denmark and we have a phone provider in the UK (voipfone.co.uk). We have 2 external client connecting through OpenVPN, one in the UK and one in France.
If I call the UK number and the UK client answers it, the quality of the call is fine, but the recording is very bad quality, almost impossible to hear what is being said. If that call is then transferred to the client in France (Or to one of the internal clients in Denmark), the quality is good again from that point forward in the same recording.
I would think that the quality of the recording would be the same quality as the call itself, but that does not seem to be the case.
Anyone has an idea about what can cause this and how to solve it?

/Sune
brian at freeswitch.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

What format are you recording in? I haven't ever heard of it recording badly.

/b

On Sep 4, 2008, at 4:38 AM, Sune Kristensen wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I am having some problems with the quality of the recordings, but only for some calls.

The FreeSWITCH server is running in Denmark and we have a phone provider in the UK (voipfone.co.uk). We have 2 external client connecting through OpenVPN, one in the UK and one in France.
If I call the UK number and the UK client answers it, the quality of the call is fine, but the recording is very bad quality, almost impossible to hear what is being said. If that call is then transferred to the client in France (Or to one of the internal clients in Denmark), the quality is good again from that point forward in the same recording.
I would think that the quality of the recording would be the same quality as the call itself, but that does not seem to be the case.

/Sune

Brian West
[url=sip:brian@freeswitch.org]sip:brian@freeswitch.org[/url]
shk at visanti.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

The recording is to a wave file, and it only seems to affect the one client. I know that this client does not have the best internet connection, and that is causing problems some times, but I tried to place a call to the client that was fine, and then when listening to the recording the quality was very bad (choppy and noisy).

At first I thought it was because I run a script that convert the wave to ogg and put it in a MySQL, but tried it without that step with the same result.

The OS is openSUSE 10.3 X64 on a Quad Core Xeon CPU with 8GB RAM, if any of that could influence it.
FreeSWITCH version: FreeSWITCH Version 1.0.trunk (9399)

/Sune

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Brian West
Sent: 4. september 2008 12:48
To: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org
Subject: Re: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality

What format are you recording in? I haven't ever heard of it recording badly.

/b

On Sep 4, 2008, at 4:38 AM, Sune Kristensen wrote:

Hi

/Sune

Brian West

brian at freeswitch.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

Anyway you can email me a sample of this ?

/b

On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:29 AM, Sune Kristensen wrote:
Quote:
The recording is to a wave file, and it only seems to affect the one client. I know that this client does not have the best internet connection, and that is causing problems some times, but I tried to place a call to the client that was fine, and then when listening to the recording the quality was very bad (choppy and noisy).

At first I thought it was because I run a script that convert the wave to ogg and put it in a MySQL, but tried it without that step with the same result.

The OS is openSUSE 10.3 X64 on a Quad Core Xeon CPU with 8GB RAM, if any of that could influence it.

/Sune

Brian West
shk at visanti.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

Sure, will send you a sample off list J

/Sune

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Brian West
Sent: 4. september 2008 13:41

Anyway you can email me a sample of this ?

/b

On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:29 AM, Sune Kristensen wrote:

/Sune

Brian West

anthony.minessale at g...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

what codec is each leg of the call using?
can you pinpoint an exact scenario where it happens every time?

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Sune Kristensen <shk@visanti.com (shk@visanti.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi

/Sune

UNSUBSCRIBE:http://lists.freeswitch.org/mailman/options/freeswitch-users
http://www.freeswitch.org

--
Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email])
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
pstn:213-799-1400
shk at visanti.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

The file I sent to Brian had PCMA 8000 on each leg, and it seems to happen every time when the UK number is called and the UK client answers. We don’t get that many calls like that, so don’t have that much data yet.
The weird thing is that the beginning of the call can be really bad, and then after a hold or transfer, it is fine.

/Sune

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Anthony Minessale
Sent: 4. september 2008 14:41

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Sune Kristensen <shk@visanti.com (shk@visanti.com)> wrote:
Hi

/Sune

--
Anthony Minessale II

MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email])
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])

sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
shk at visanti.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

Have been looking at it a bit more, and it looks like the internal calls are all PCMU, so when the call is put on hold, and a new call is made before transfer, the new call will be PCMU. If the call is not transferred (As is the case with the sample I sent to Brian), I would expect it to go back to PCMA, and as far as I can tell it does, but the recording quality is still good, so don’t think it is the codec in itself, but maybe something don’t get initialized correctly until PCMU is used!?

Will do some more testing with this is mind!

/Sune

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Sune Kristensen
Sent: 4. september 2008 15:18

The file I sent to Brian had PCMA 8000 on each leg, and it seems to happen every time when the UK number is called and the UK client answers. We don’t get that many calls like that, so don’t have that much data yet.
The weird thing is that the beginning of the call can be really bad, and then after a hold or transfer, it is fine.

/Sune

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Anthony Minessale

Hi

/Sune

--
Anthony Minessale II

shk at visanti.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] record_session sound quality Reply with quote

Ok, I think it is the PCMA codec in some way.
I have just made some test calls through our Danish phone provider (musimi.dk) and when I call out PCMU is used and the quality is fine. When I call in from my mobile PCMA is used and the quality is bad (Only the recording).
If a transfer is made where PCMU is used for the new call (Call then transfer), the recording is fine, from the point where it is put on hold, this suggests that something happens either because of the hold/moh or because of the PCMU call.

And it looks like I can reproduce it every time.

/Sune

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Sune Kristensen
Sent: 4. september 2008 16:20

Have been looking at it a bit more, and it looks like the internal calls are all PCMU, so when the call is put on hold, and a new call is made before transfer, the new call will be PCMU. If the call is not transferred (As is the case with the sample I sent to Brian), I would expect it to go back to PCMA, and as far as I can tell it does, but the recording quality is still good, so don’t think it is the codec in itself, but maybe something don’t get initialized correctly until PCMU is used!?

Will do some more testing with this is mind!

/Sune

Sent: 4. september 2008 15:18

/Sune

Hi

/Sune

--
Anthony Minessale II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: