Sponsor: VoiceMeUp - Corporate & Wholesale VoIP Services

VoIP Mailing List Archives
Mailing list archives for the VoIP community
 SearchSearch 

[asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> Asterisk Business
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asterisk at voipbusine...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source Reply with quote

All;
My company has written a multi-tenant, multi-user single fax and fax broadcasting system for Asterisk that we want to release as open source. The package seems to be popular with ITSP’s. The package is extremely feature-rich and has been available for several years now so it has a stable code base. A list of some of its features can be found here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VoIP+Business+Solutions. So my question is this, what are the best ways to publicize the product now that it's open source?
Thanks;
John V.

Tech Support
Tech Support
VoIP Business Solutions
240-215-3479 x325
support@voipbusiness.us (fsd@voipbusiness.us)
afshin9 at gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source Reply with quote

nowadays, github.com is probably the most popular place for any source code.

You can also use Atlasian products, which for opensource would be free, you can use Confluence for documentation, Bitbucket for source control and Jira for Issue Tracking.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated with Github or Atlasian in anyways. these are all my personal opinions.

AFShin Seysan
www.Callynx.com
afshin at collynx .dot com

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Tech Support <asterisk@voipbusiness.us (asterisk@voipbusiness.us)> wrote:
Quote:

All;
   My company has written a multi-tenant, multi-user single fax and fax broadcasting system for Asterisk that we want to release as open source. The package seems to be popular with ITSP’s. The package is extremely feature-rich and has been available for several years now so it has a stable code base. A list of some of its features can be found here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VoIP+Business+Solutions. So my question is this, what are the best ways to publicize the product now that it's open source?
Thanks;
John V.  

Tech Support
Tech Support
VoIP Business Solutions
[url=tel:(240)%20215-3479]240-215-3479 x325[/url]
support@voipbusiness.us (fsd@voipbusiness.us)

--

asterisk-biz mailing list
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:
   http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-biz
miconda at gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source Reply with quote

On 17/01/2017 21:01, AFShin Seysan wrote:
Quote:

You can also use Atlasian products, which for opensource would be free, you can use Confluence for documentation, Bitbucket for source control and Jira for Issue Tracking.

Github.com is indeed popular and serves the most needs of dealing with open source project development and collaboration (issue tracker, pull requests, reviews, etc...). But of course, you don't have full control and sometimes you reach some limitations. At kamailio we had to write some script) to hook into their APIs because we wanted a special email format for notifications as well as keep a mirror in near real time (for who is interested to read more, I published it as OSS: https://github.com/miconda/gitpushub). Another limitation is not offering private repository without paying. As an OSS project, sometimes you want to keep few admin scripts private.

Bitbucket offers private repos for free. I haven't used it much and not integrated with Jira/Confluence. So it might not be the case there, but I find it a hassle not to have the issue tracker, version control, review system in the same portal for an OSS project -- it can add overhead to administration, taking cycles from other OSS activities. We did it in the past and I would not return there. The story can be different if you have dedicated sysadmin resources.

Gitlab.com is another alternative for hosting OSS project -- I haven't used it, so no first hand experience. But Gitlab can be also self-hosted (the suite of tools used there is open source), however it is seems to require a dedicated system for an easy installation and maintenance, be safe to not break other services.

gogs.io is a lighter version for self hosting git repositories and get the look and many of the features a la github (issue tracker, wiki, ...).

Cheers,
Daniel
Quote:
--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
www.twitter.com/miconda -- www.linkedin.com/in/miconda
Kamailio World Conference - May 8-10, 2017 - www.kamailioworld.com
sidney at oncallcentra...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source Reply with quote

+1 for GitHub. We used gitlab internally for about two years. Works well overall, but they put out updates about every 18 seconds and it becomes a lot of work to keep it fully up-to-date. Recently decided to throw in the towel and move everything to Amazon’s CodeCommit. Zero issues so far and free for first 5 devs.
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, at 3:26 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda@gmail.com (miconda@gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Github.com is indeed popular and serves the most needs of dealing with open source project development and collaboration (issue tracker, pull requests, reviews, etc...). But of course, you don't have full control and sometimes you reach some limitations. At kamailio we had to write some script) to hook into their APIs because we wanted a special email format for notifications as well as keep a mirror in near real time (for who is interested to read more, I published it as OSS: https://github.com/miconda/gitpushub). Another limitation is not offering private repository without paying. As an OSS project, sometimes you want to keep few admin scripts private. Bitbucket offers private repos for free. I haven't used it much and not integrated with Jira/Confluence. So it might not be the case there, but I find it a hassle not to have the issue tracker, version control, review system in the same portal for an OSS project -- it can add overhead to administration, taking cycles from other OSS activities. We did it in the past and I would not return there. The story can be different if you have dedicated sysadmin resources. Gitlab.com is another alternative for hosting OSS project -- I haven't used it, so no first hand experience. But Gitlab can be also self-hosted (the suite of tools used there is open source), however it is seems to require a dedicated system for an easy installation and maintenance, be safe to not break other services. gogs.io is a lighter version for self hosting git repositories and get the look and many of the features a la github (issue tracker, wiki, ...). Cheers, Daniel
Quote:
--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
www.twitter.com/miconda -- www.linkedin.com/in/miconda
Kamailio World Conference - May 8-10, 2017 - www.kamailioworld.com

-- _____________________________________________________________________-- Bandwidth and Colocation Provided by http://www.api-digital.com --asterisk-biz mailing listTo UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-biz
asterisk at voipbusine...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source Reply with quote

These are all great answers and are very useful, but my question is this. What's the best way to “get the word out” that our server is being open sourced? What would you guys do if you were doing this?
Thanks a Million;
John V.

From: asterisk-biz-bounces@lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces@lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 03:27 PM
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source

Github.com is indeed popular and serves the most needs of dealing with open source project development and collaboration (issue tracker, pull requests, reviews, etc...). But of course, you don't have full control and sometimes you reach some limitations. At kamailio we had to write some script) to hook into their APIs because we wanted a special email format for notifications as well as keep a mirror in near real time (for who is interested to read more, I published it as OSS: https://github.com/miconda/gitpushub). Another limitation is not offering private repository without paying. As an OSS project, sometimes you want to keep few admin scripts private.

Bitbucket offers private repos for free. I haven't used it much and not integrated with Jira/Confluence. So it might not be the case there, but I find it a hassle not to have the issue tracker, version control, review system in the same portal for an OSS project -- it can add overhead to administration, taking cycles from other OSS activities. We did it in the past and I would not return there. The story can be different if you have dedicated sysadmin resources.

Gitlab.com is another alternative for hosting OSS project -- I haven't used it, so no first hand experience. But Gitlab can be also self-hosted (the suite of tools used there is open source), however it is seems to require a dedicated system for an easy installation and maintenance, be safe to not break other services.

gogs.io is a lighter version for self hosting git repositories and get the look and many of the features a la github (issue tracker, wiki, ...).

Cheers,
Daniel

Quote:
-- Daniel-Constantin Mierlawww.twitter.com/miconda -- www.linkedin.com/in/micondaKamailio World Conference - May 8-10, 2017 - www.kamailioworld.com
tahir at ictinnovation...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source Reply with quote

We  have  experience in  open source projects  like  http://www.ictfax.org   and  will share  our  experience  with you .

Do not use commercial  advertisement platform  to promote   open source  project.

Do on-page  SEO  of   your  site  with  open source and free  keywords

Place your  source code  at  both sourceforge.net  and  github 

Create  a  forum  for open source  community  and provide  support to  visitors  .

Press release  /  News   at  voip-info.org  , asterisk.org  ( you already did ) and  other related sites .

that is  all and rest  open source  community  and  google search engine  will do  themselves  and you need  not to  worry about it

regards

Tahir Almas

Managing Partner
ICT Innovations
http://www.ictinnovations.com
Leveraging open source in ICT

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Tech Support <asterisk@voipbusiness.us (asterisk@voipbusiness.us)> wrote:
Quote:

These are all great answers and are very useful, but my question is this. What's the best way to “get the word out” that our server is being open sourced? What would you guys do if you were doing this?
Thanks a Million;
John V.

From: asterisk-biz-bounces@lists.digium.com (asterisk-biz-bounces@lists.digium.com) [mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces@lists.digium.com (asterisk-biz-bounces@lists.digium.com)] On Behalf Of Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 03:27 PM
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Releasing software as open source

Cheers,
Daniel

Quote:
-- Daniel-Constantin Mierlawww.twitter.com/miconda -- www.linkedin.com/in/micondaKamailio World Conference - May 8-10, 2017 - www.kamailioworld.com

--

asterisk-biz mailing list
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:
   http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-biz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> Asterisk Business All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: