Sponsor: VoiceMeUp - Corporate & Wholesale VoIP Services

VoIP Mailing List Archives
Mailing list archives for the VoIP community
 SearchSearch 

[Freeswitch-users] FS Documentation Idea (was RE: FS and DID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uv at yuvalhertzog.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] FS Documentation Idea (was RE: FS and DID Reply with quote

According to my understanding, in FS, a gateway is a mechanism for the FS to authenticate when making outgoing calls. If you wish to receive a mixture of SIP calls on the same IP/port on FS you are pretty bound to the same SIP Profile settings for all those inbound entities.

On other softswitch platforms (mainly commercial ones), a gateway is usually a reference to a trunk connection or an aggregation of multiple end-points – all within the context of the same domain/ip/port. In analogy to FS, it’s a sip-profile within a sip-profile. On those platforms, you can have different SIP/Sofia Profile settings on the same ip/port per inbound end-point. This allows you to allow TLS for particular users, have password OR IP authentication, set different keep-alive mechanisms, enable/disable CNG, VAD, codecs and so on.

I hope Brian words were specific for the current FS build until such sofia-setting-per-gateway functionality is added in the future, as I do see the need for having gateway (SIP-Sub-Profile) definition for inbound calls.

I might be all wrong and FS does facilitate for such functionality in a way I wasn’t aware of.

From: freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces@lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Michael Collins
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:29 PM
To: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org
Subject: [Freeswitch-users] FS Documentation Idea (was RE: FS and DIDs)

You don't setup gateways to receive calls. You can just have your provider send as many did's at you as they feel free to send. Just don't auth-calls on that profile that all the did's hit. A gateway has nothing to do with DID's it just registers to the far side and is used when they challenge us.

/b

Brian,

Thank you!! Your words that I’ve put in bold are highly critical to understanding what a gateway is used for, and conversely, what it is not used for. On a hunch I searched the wiki for the word “gateway” and I didn’t find a single page that presents this information. I would like to propose that we create a page like “What is a gateway and why do I need one” that could be a smaller part of the bigger SIP/VoIP documentation picture. We could then link to that page from the GSG as well as link back to the GSG and other relevant topics from the GW page. Or perhaps someone has another idea we could discuss.

Thoughts from the community?

Thanks,
MC
brian at freeswitch.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] FS Documentation Idea (was RE: FS and DID Reply with quote

Various behaviors can already be changed using variables on the same profile. Along with ip auth per user.. and many more.

/b

On Sep 11, 2008, at 1:32 AM, UV wrote:
Quote:
I might be all wrong and FS does facilitate for such functionality in a way I wasn’t aware of.

Brian West
[url=sip:brian@freeswitch.org]sip:brian@freeswitch.org[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: